Most Orthodox people that I know just love to talk about being Orthodox and are flattered by interest and curiosity in their lifestyle. [GENERALIZATION ALERT.] Here are some questions we're happy to answer.
1. How did you and your spouse meet?
While we know that the way we meet and date is very different from that of most people, we're proud of our style and, like most couples, enjoy recounting the process.
2. (For women) So is it hard to shop for clothes? Where do you find your skirts?
Again, like most women, we like to shop and the thrill of the chase is a good part of it. So the limitations of our wardrobe make it kind of like a treasure hunt. When we find a good skirt, we Facebook it so all our fellow skirt-wearers can enjoy. It's fun to share how we make "regular" department store clothing or Target finds "kosher" for our use. Go ahead, ask!
3. How do you guys manage with so many kids?
While sometimes this question will be met with a groan and some eye-rolling, because ALL of us struggle with raising kids (whether it's one or ten), overall we are proud of having large families and have developed tricks and tips along the way. So it's a good feeling to be validated for this and respected for meeting the challenge.
4. Do you mind that you can't eat all these foods and that you're limited with what restaurants you can go to? What do you do when you travel?
Kosher is another area that is all-inclusive in our lives. Like most people, when something is a big part of our lives, it's fun to talk about. As we do, we revisit these concepts from a fresh perspective (yours) and are reminded that our lives are pretty cool.
5. (For guys) Do you wear your kippah all the time? What about sports? Does it ever fall off? Do you wear it when you sleep?
It's pretty easy to fall into the trap of habit with observance. Being reminded about something that is a constant is good for us.
If you are Orthodox, what are some other questions you're happy to answer? What are some questions you don't want to be asked?
If you are not, what are some questions you've wondered if you could ask?